Just Eat The Damn Chocolate

“But Mom, we can’t take the last two.” Eloise said quietly so the lady behind the counter would not hear her.

“Eloise, we can buy the last two pain au chocolat. Trust me, it will be fine.” I answered in a voice slightly louder than hers as we moved to the front of the line at the bakery.

“But what if the people in line behind us really want those and we take them…just think how disappointed they would be. I don’t think I can live with that guilt.” Eloise frowned and then looked to the floor.

“Eloise, but we are next in line so we get dibs on the chocolate. That’s why we came to this bakery – JUST for two pain au chocolat and voila there are two left and they can be OURS! It’s good karma that we buy them. They are meant to be ours! Do you not see this as a sign?” I giggled slightly thinking about how we’ve waiting in line for 15 minutes and now cannot buy the pastries.

“It just doesn’t feel right. Maybe we should just ask some of the people behind us if they are planning on ordering them and then if they say no, it’s okay for us to order them.” Eloise inquired.

“Eloise, there are 15 people behind us and odds are that yes, they want the chocolate..but we are here FIRST and they’ve been selling them all day and now at 1:45..they have two left and they are OURS! We win!”

Ladies can I help you with something?

“Eloise we need to order.”

“I really want the pain au chocolat, but at this point they just would not taste right. I don’t think it’s ever right to take the last one of anything at anytime.  I can’t. We can just come back earlier tomorrow when they have more and then it won’t feel so wrong.” Eloise started towards the door already basically giving our pastries to the line behind us.

“So, do you want to order something else today, I mean since we are here?” My stomach rumbled thinking about French Pastries NOT IN MY STOMACH!

“No, let’s just leave the rest to the line behind us. It was just a treat anyway that I didn’t really need…it was more of a ‘would be really nice to have’ and now I’m not really hungry anymore.” Eloise said over her shoulder as she pushed the shop door open, the door bells ringing over the last of her words.

“You know, somebody has to take the last pain au chocolats because they won’t keep until tomorrow. Bakeries are happy when they sell-out. We are doing a great service by buying them!” I made one last attempt to order something.

“I know, and I’m sure they’ve already sold them by now and I just know that person is happy.” Eloise smiled now as I caught up to her and met her stride for stride down the sidewalk towards our car.

“You made that person happy, you know? Which is wonderful..but you know sometimes it’s okay to make yourself happy too. I need to you to know that. Actually, it’s pretty damn important to make yourself happy. I don’t want you to be the only one who gives. Let someone spoil you sometimes. Please.”

“Mom, I don’t like when you use bad words.”

“Gah, seriously, that wasn’t my point! Well I want you to know that you are such a good person – and your heart is always in the right places – helping others and thinking of others and always being kind…but I need to you to make me a promise, okay? Well, two promises…”

“Okay.”

“The first is that you will do at least one thing each week that makes YOU happy, because I totally believe that if you are not happy, you cannot serve others like I know you want to do. And the second thing is – please let me swear once in awhile because swearing makes me happy. I don’t know why it does…but it does…so just politely ignore me or I won’t buy you anymore pain au chocolat. You got it?”

“Mom, you are so weird…and I need to think about this deal.”

Comments

She’s a better woman than me. That chocolate would have been MINE!

p.s. while in Canada we were at donut shop and all I wanted was the last two raspberry filled ones and the people right in front of me ordered them BOTH! I wish they would have had a daughter like Eloise!! ;)
    Elaine A. recently posted..Chicago Through my Lens

OMG that is so Eloise! Sometimes your girls are too thoughtful of others. You captured this so well. I love that she tries to keep you in line!

I don’t like to take the last one (or two) of anything, either. I don’t usually feel that way at a bakery, though. I tend to go with your logic – ‘There are 2 left?’ Score! They are just sitting there going stale anyway – it’s a helpful service to eat them. :)
    Kim@Co-Pilot Mom recently posted..Constellations

4. AnnJ says

It’s great that you are having this conversation with her at her age. Women tend to feel they have to please others first all the time. While I think that is usually a good mindset I also feel it’s important to do something special for ourselves even if its just buying a cup of coffee. Your post made me think of the love-bank illustration…. If you give and give your bank will be empty… You need to let others add to it and fill I by taking care of yourself. You are a wonderful mom and are giving your daughters a great foundation. Thanks for sharing.

I’m ashamed to say it but I probably would have discreetly bought the chocolate and hid in the closet to eat it at home – both portions- while cussing.
    And… I was reprimanded by my ten year old yesterday for saying jackass while driving – twice.
    They are really just raising us, aren’t they?
    Shannon recently posted..Expectations at Forty

oh I know her heart, and I’ve actually done this once or twice in my life.

But she does need to be GOOD to herself, because when you’re too kind, people will take advantage of that, they will hurt you for no other reason than they can and because they know you’ll forgive them.

I love her BIG HEART, love knowing that she is concerned about other people and the world around her.

(and please tell her that as she gets older…cussing is just a TREAT , it helps with bad days so much. ;)

I have no idea how you managed to raise such a good soul. Can you please write that hand book already because I need it yesterday? Also, can I borrow Eloise? She likes 3 1/2 year olds and toddlers, right? I’ll even bake chocolate buns.
    Alison recently posted..Abundance

8. samm says

What a special dear girl. I hope she takes you up on the deal. Give her a big hug from me, please. samm in Canada

Awww, she’s so sweet and considerate. I feel like a terrible mom because I’d never have left without buying the damn chocolate… haha!

Oh dear.

She does need to think of herself sometimes. BUT there is no one like Eloise, and I believe that God (the Universe – adding that caveat just for you) ;-) will take care of her in the same way she takes care of others.
    Lady Jennie recently posted..Where the Chips May Fall

I just can not comprehend this kind of kindness. There was chocolate. It was yours. She walked away. I am baffled. Also, pretty sure my children would have stampeded over kittens to get those pastries. Can I please send them to you to parent until they are kind and won’t stomp on helpless kittens for chocolate??
    anymommy recently posted..Seal safari

12. Laura says

That reminds me of the time I was standing in line at Starbucks and the man and woman in front of me ordered the last of something and I said, “Oh, I was going to order that.” I had a big smile on my face and shook my head no. Well the man did not look up to see my face and got very angry and said, “well too bad, it is mine” and the woman he was with was horrified. I am guessing the guy gets angry often. Poor woman, I hope she dumped him. I will never make that joke again! If it was Eloise, I would have had to buy it, even though I really didn’t want it. What a sweet girl.