I wrote a post last Spring about why I let my 9 year old daughter read The Hunger Games. Since that time she has reread the trilogy three times. And yet she still has no violent urges…just the need to read 24 hours a day, because besides reading that trilogy over and over and now over again, she has also read about 58 other books..give or take 100.
She’s the girl you see walking down the street with the open book in her hands while she crashes into light posts but still manages to mark her page on her way down to the pavement.
So it came as no surprise that Eloise wanted to be Katniss Everdeen, the amazing heroine from the Hunger Games, for Halloween.
We had a ball over the past month collecting items to create a Katniss Everdeen costume because thankfully there is not anything commercially made to cheapen it all for us.
I’ve listed what and where we found/purchased everything as well as made a video for more information to help you if you want to create your own Hunger Games costume!
So here is what you need to make your own Katniss Everdeen Halloween Costume:
1. Some kind of jacket – now I know the actual Katniss jacket was black and you can actually buy the replica jacket on eBay or Amazon or Toys R Us – but I was not willing to pay $50 for this jacket. Instead we found a great cargo jacket at Savers for only $5!
2. Jeans or leggings or cargo pants – Eloise is wearing her own jeggings that we already own.
3. Boots – hunting, hiking, or riding type boots. Eloise tried to convince me to buy some cool boots for her from Justice but we decided that her Ugg boots that we had already purchased for Winter would work just fine.
4. The orange backpack that Katniss grabbed immediately when the Games started. You can buy the official Hunger Games Backpack but instead we decided to just buy this Liberty Bags Small Drawstring Backpack 8881 to save about $25 and it will be perfect for trick or treating. The toy bow also came from Amazon.
6. We also purchased a Katniss Everdeen ‘Girl on Fire’ shirt from Toys R Us.
7. The final piece to the costume is we put a Dutch braid in her hair just like Katniss wears. (Video tutorial coming soon).
So have fun making a Katniss Everdeen Hunger Games costume for your daughter this Halloween! Now..I’m trying to figure out how to make myself look like Effie Trinket….