I’ll Be Fine

A few weeks ago we were running out of the house quickly as we were late for an appointment. We had a string about of 30 days above 90 degrees so we were in our typical uniforms of ‘wearing as little as possible without getting arrested’ so when we stepped outside and felt the 59 degree cool morning air on our bare arms, well we froze.

(Yay! Back to school!)

The girls got into the van and I asked who wanted a sweatshirt. I went back into the house and grabbed three sweatshirts and threw them back to my crew as I got into the driver’s seat.

Immediately Eloise asked “Mom, didn’t you grab a sweatshirt for you too?”

Well no. I replied. I guess I just didn’t think about it when I grabbed yours. I’ll be fine.

“You do that a lot you know.” Eloise said. “You do stuff for us before yourself. Our dinner is on the table before yours. You don’t eat lunch until we are done. Our clothes are hung neatly in our closets while yours are a disaster. You buy us new things before you’d ever do it for yourself.  You always have the least amount of gifts at Christmas. You sleep the least amount.  You make sure we get our haircuts and when was the last time you got a haircut?  And now you make sure we are warm when I know you’ll be cold.”

Eloise paused for a moment and then said “So the next time it’s cold I’m just going to run upstairs and grab your sweater for you and don’t you stop me because if you can’t think of yourself once in awhile then I’ll be the one to do it for you.”

Oh my heart.

*******

What I wore Wednesday:

-Old Navy ruffle dress from last Summer

-Belt from H&M

-Wedges from Dansko – about four years old

********

Isn’t it about time you like Sellabit Mum on Facebook?  I’ll pay you in cute puppies. Maybe.

Comments

I just hope she doesn’t burn out before adulthood. Something I have to push her to ‘just be a kid.’

She’s so awesome. Can I steal her please?

Because I need someone to think about me too. Sometimes.

(love the happy picture, hee!)

(also, cute dress!)

(I mean Esther’s)

(OK I like yours too)
    Alison recently posted..Priorities

Maybe I can send her over when she’s a teen to be your nanny for a Summer. (but you have to send her back)

Oh, how very sweet. It’s nice that your kiddo recognized all you do for them.

I love that first photo. So fabulous! You look lovely.

Visiting from The Pleated Poppy today…

~FringeGirl

thedomesticfringe.com
    the domestic fringe recently posted..Not-So-Cool Girl

Okay. I don’t know how to tell you this, but I am kidnapping your girls. Or forcing you to raise mine.

Probably the latter, because you are wonderful and this story is exhibit A for teaching your kids to talk.
    lyz recently posted..#Eastwooding and My Marriage

I think that your daughter has just about every single mom pinned down… What’s amazing is that she is really taking the time to think about you and putting your needs first. You have a great kid that’s for sure!
    Jackie recently posted..A new me… thanks to Cinch!

5. @somerskys says

wOW!! that lil girl is so awesomely unselfish!! just like her mom. like i said before THANKS for making this world happier by being in it, and raising such wonderful kids to be in this world. THANKS!!!!!!!!

When I saw that photo on Facebook this morning, I laughed out loud. And then I showed it to my husband and so did he.
    How sweet of Eloise. Just when you think no one’s noticing, huh? What a lovely story.
    Aidan

Man I love these girls of ours. My oldest is at the point of realizing that I will pick up things for myself while we’re out, be it the grocery store or Target or DSW, but by the time we reach the register they’ve been cast aside, back onto the racks/shelves. She just recently started calling me on it. While I’m glad she notices that I will do for them, I do kind of want to have them see me do for me too. It’s hard to remember; we instinctively care for our children before taking care of ourselves. It’s good to know you’ll have these girls if you ever succumb to dementia and need a parka.
    Arnebya recently posted..Preschool Day One and Preschool Day Two (and mommy madness in between)

8. Brandi says

I am addicted to your blog! Man oh man, this has me in tears. You are doing something very right with those young ladies! Good job mama!!! (I may also be addicted to using exclamation points)

Sweet girl, and now you know who will be taking care of you when you can no longer take care of yourself. Which granted is a little morbid, but also nice.
    Jennifer recently posted..Frayed

Those pictures are priceless (I totally LOLed at the back-to-school pic) but the story is amazing. What a wonderful person you are raising, and what a wonderful mother you are.
    Jessica recently posted..I’m Back…

11. Andrea says

Oh my. She’s got such an amazing heart. She going to be something pretty amazing when she’s all grown because she’s pretty amazing right now. You are one blessed mama.
    Andrea recently posted..The first day of school

Trackbacks

1. [...] ~:::CONTINUE READING THIS POST:::~ ABOUT TRACY: Tracy is the author of Sellabit Mum where she’s been documenting the lighter side of parenting since 2008. She is a former corporate ladder climber who is the mom of three girls and two cats, and has a motorcycling husband.When she’s not blogging, on Twitter or obsessively checking Facebook she loves photography, fashion, creative writing, bad reality TV, and trying to steal the iPad away from her toddler. You can also find Tracy on Pinterest and vlogging away on YouTube. [...]