What Do You Learn In Preschool

I vaguely remember preschool. I remember it was in a church basement; Lutheran, even though we were Catholic. And my teacher wore her hair high up on her head in curls that were neatly pinned like flowers. She also wore a tan, ribbed turtleneck top, a huge smile, and sensible shoes most days. I remember playing with various toys, reading books, signing songs, and learning the importance of sitting quietly on a carpet as we all faced the teacher. My teacher, in 1972, wore a miniskirt as she sat on a chair facing us. We could spy her undies every day. We loved her. And her undies and how they made us giggle.

Preschool was a place to go and socialize with other kids, a place where you learned a little body control and how to listen to a teacher, and a foundation for getting you ready for your adventure to bigger and better learning.

Preschool should be magical. It should be a place where unicorns graze in rainbow colored fields under a jelly bean sky. Preschool teachers I believe are hatched from pastel colored eggs that have been dipped in fairy dust before being carried down to earth by white swans wearing tutus.

This is how I want my daughters to feel when they go off to preschool. I want them to feel like they are wrapped up in magic at every turn.

And we’ve found that spot with our preschool.

Don’t laugh at me, but I have tears running down my face a I type this. And when Astrid’s teacher hugged me hello this morning I cried then too. Just feeling her warmth and by knowing how safe and happy Astrid is there. Each day her teacher hugs or touches me and tells me words that are reaffirming. “We love Astrid so much. She’s a delight. She makes my heart happy. Her smile lights up a room. She’s a lovely friend. I don’t want her to ever go to kindergarten…”

And I cry again. I’ve warned them that I plan to just come and sit in the classroom next year for a few hours even though Astrid will not be there. Because I need more unicorns and fairy dust in my life. Everyone should have a place that makes you feel this good.

Astrid’s school focuses a lot on music and art. Each ‘lesson’ or monthly plan is about a band or artist. They’ve studied The Beatles, Bob Marley, Michael Franti, Taj Mahal, Claude Monet and more. They learn all of the songs or paintings, have dance parties, and explore the places and cultures where the artists are from. This is her preschool curriculum, and I melt over it each day I enter that happy place to drop her off. And I linger longer there than I have at any other school.

We’ve spent months singing along with Astrid as she continues to appreciate the arts at home – and teach us what she has learned. And I love it so hard that no one is pushing phonics or math or early reading books on this child. This child with a song in her heart.

Her favorite song from the year is Cakewalk Into Town by Taj Mahal… and she sang a few versus for us. And I think if we all listen and watch this just a few more times, well no one will get the blues ever again.

Guaranteed unicorns, rainbows, swans and jelly beans if you watch this….

What do you love about your child’s preschool?

Comments

As a preschool teacher this makes my heart explode!! THIS is how children learn and I only wish more parents and the general public understood this. Instead they demand worksheets and memorization and flashcards. Preschool is NOT bootcamp for kindergarten!
    Robbie recently posted..Eight

our daycare (preschool) was just like Astrid’s. They felt like family and we treated them that way since they were helping me to raise them.
    There were discussions about poets and painters, the government and famous authors. I know they loved every minute and I got hugs like you did all the time.

even now in Kindergarten, I feel that way again. Love their teacher, love the school and the messages they are coming home with.

I can hear the unicorns and see the glitter and I am so thankful for it.

Plus Astrid is just beautiful. :)

“Permanent fwown” I die. I think Erv is in love after watching that with me.

Is this the school that you decided on after not getting into the one close to your neighborhood? That was a nightmare but it seems like it worked out perfectly!

All three of mine have had the same preschool teacher and I love her so much. There’s no Bob Marley, but there’s a lot of booty-shakin dance parties.
    Greta recently posted..On Facebook and Death.

• says

Exactly! Yes, we did not get into prek and are now here and it is the best place ever. So lucky how things worked out. I love that. And booty-shakin.

GAH! She is ADORABLE!

Eddie loves preschool too. They are learning everything side-by-side with a Spanish focus–which I love. Plus Eddie feels like he now has a language that is just for me and him. It’s so cute.

What I remember best about Mrs. Bredaway’s Preschool was A) it was in her basement, B) painting big pictures with REAL paint (not water colors) while wearing one of my dad’s old shirts as my “smock” and C) playing Farmer in the Dell and giggle at that stinky old lonely cheese.
    Katie recently posted..Through The Lens Thursday

I love our preschool. They’re so kind and warm and loving. I was so sad when the girls has to move on to kinder (and they regularly ask to go back to preschool). Now that Zoe’s there I’ve started thinking about the time that will come when we leave preschool for good, and it makes me really sad. They tell me that Zoe lights up their day, and I really believe that she does.

I do not possibly appreciate how I finished right up the following, however i assumed this particular blog post has been superior. I really don’t recognize which you are even so surely you will a popular doodlekit for those who are certainly not witout a doubt. Regards!