Snow Day

Nothing blows up Facebook more than when school is called off for snow or cold. Not even marriage equality, the Affordable Care Act, or the act of twerking can bring the parents WHO HAVE THINGS TO SAY out of their yoga pants and into rant-mode on social media.

I’m one of those!

snow-day

I was asking Facebook why school was cancelled because of wind chills when we happen to live in Minnesota. Home to cold wind chills. I was also texting Vikki and Galit and asking which one of them would take my children for the day because I wasn’t very good at impromptu all day parenting(WHAT?), crafts, baking, fort making, or telling my kids to turn off the TV.

They did not text me back.

So my fun plans for the kids included bedroom cleaning, laundry folding, dishwasher unloading, and sock sorting. These kids cannot wait to get back to school tomorrow. I’ve got this all figured out.

But I imagine this decision of cancelling school falls heavy on the hearts and minds of the superintendents – who get all of the tweets, emails, texts and messages as to why their decision was wrong. Because so many will be unhappy. Their decision is always wrong. No matter what their decision is. Know that.

And rightfully Facebook blows up with “What am I going to do about childcare?” and “I don’t have any more sick days.” and “These kids cannot be out in the cold – good call St. Paul!”

And I feel all privileged that I work from home so I can be flexible and not worry about childcare, wear my yoga pants all day, and know that our fridge is full of food.

Because I think about those kids who now maybe missed their best(only) meals of the day because school was called off. And who has the right to decide for them what’s worse – being cold waiting for the bus – or not having breakfast or lunch.

The juggling act of finding childcare, transportation, meals and time is a burden to all parents and I know that school districts don’t take it lightly. And I’d open up our home to many kids if I actually enjoyed kids and doing crafts and such.

But I’d rather have my kids in school on a Thursday¬† – even when the wind chills hit -40….and I say bravo to the schools up north in Bemidji and Duluth who kept their schools running. They’re a hardy bunch. I’m not quite sure what’s happened to us. And a cold day off is different than a snow day off – snow days it’s “Throw the kids outside for four hours to play in the fresh snow!” And cold days are “Kids are climbing all over me, have watched all the shows, have eaten all the food, and having been asking for glitter for four hours!”

I guess I would just rather wrap my kids in 40 layers to get to school than to clean up one more pile of glitter.

(Okay, I would never buy glitter.)

Snow/cold days off of school – love them or hate them?

Comments

Yes, I should check my privilege.. You are right about that.

BUT – my head still hurts from the 4 kids hopped up on jelly beans screaming and shooting each other with a water gun I thought I’d hidden. Shooting each other in my living room. Now, I’m retiring to bed with a cup of tea!
    Vikki recently posted..To the Parents Who Love Snow Days

It did not occur to me that some kids DO need to go to school just to get a bite to eat. Which makes me sad. Sigh.
    Also, I cannot imagine the kind of cold that is so cold, people can’t leave the house. That’s insanity.
    Glitter is also insanity. #worstnightmare
    Alison recently posted..Through The Lens Thursday #4: White

• says

School is really the safest place for many. Many. Also – we leave the house no matter what – because OMG we have to leave the house. xo

You’re so right about superintendents not being able to win no matter what — there’s a privilege to staying home and there’s the food and the safety and there’s also the kids who have to walk to/from school and wait at bus stops, etc. Complicated, yes? #bringontheglitter
    Galit Breen recently posted..Dear mom who hates snow days

it’s the child care aspect, if I could bring the boys here to work, I wouldn’t complain, but corporate America hates my children and tells me that snow days “are what I have PTO days’ for when I have PTO days for sunny vacation days, beach days, GODDAMN Mental Health days and ohhh sick days, for when I am SICK!

I am not angry at the admins…it snows, it’s cold, do what you need to do,,,,but what I would love is for work to say, “you’re important, we’d like you HERE in the building and if you need to bring your children in order for that to happen, then bring them..and bring things for them to do.”

my boys have been here at work before and do very well, keep themselves occupied and sleep all the way home to Pennsylvania at the end of the day because it was a “Work Day” for them too.

I just refuse to use all my PTO before February. You know?

I fall in the hating snow days camp too. I do think about the kids who need the school breakfast and/or lunch and how school is possibly warmer than home and I think that plays largely into the superintendent’s decisions. I have a friend whose dad was the superintendent of schools where he grew up and he said that on days when people thought school should have been closed but wasn’t, kids would beat him up at school. Nice.

Here in New England we get a lot of snow days, but I’ve never seen them call off school because it’s too cold. Our school district has finally seen the wisdom of building enough snow days into the calendar so they don’t find themselves contemplating moving high school graduation because they still have days to make up. One particularly snowy year, my brother’s kids had to go to school on all the Saturdays in June to make up for the snow days. You can bet everyone hated those snow days in retrospect.
    Ellen recently posted..She Divines Water

Glitter is the stuff of nightmares. I cannot imagine dealing with repeated requests for it.

I don’t want to pull out the “back in my day…” starter, but, well, I remember going to school when the wind chill hit -40 (I remember is was -40 because that’s the magical number where Celsius and Fahrenheit are equal). Then again, my district didn’t have school buses, so there was no waiting for a bus in the cold – you either got dropped off or you walked (like me). With enough layers, even in that cold, you can work up a sweat (as I know you know from running).

I always prayed for the snow day, though I never really got a whole lot accomplished during them (then again, what is there to “accomplish” when you’re a kid?). Now, I’m very quick to pull the “need to work from home” lever on my job (and I pray it’s always available to me) when it looks like the kids will be home. Because while I’m not the “craft & healthy snacks” dad, I’ve learned to attend conference calls, run reports, unload the dishwasher, and plow through a few loads of laundry while the kids rot their brain & teeth on television & video games & lollipops for breakfast/lunch/dinner.
    John (Daddy Runs a Lot) recently posted..Where I accept High Heels & Training Wheel’s Challenge

Love this. You make such a good point that I hadn’t thought about, some kids are missing their only meals of the day by being at home. so sad. thank you for bringing reality.

In LA, we have STORMWATCH when there is half an inch of precipitation on the ground.

Pathetic pussies is what we are.

And I mean that in the best I-run-my-heater-when-it’s-below-70 kind of way.

Stay warm and glitter-free, my friend.
    julie gardner recently posted..A Lady in France

Oh Tracy, I didn’t think about the kids who don’t have much and who get their one hot meal a day. :-(

You have such a heart.

(I laughed at your evil genius way of getting the kids to want to go back to school).
    Lady Jennie recently posted..Getting Organized

10. Donnamay says

Its never been -40 here in Eastern Washington State…. I CAN NOT imagine – holy frostbite! We do get snow and freezing rain, and average 3-4 “snow days” every year….. or at least the school district plans them into the calendar, and if they don’t need to use them, its an extra day off later in the spring – the Friday before a three day weekend, naturally. Back in my child rearing days I was lucky to have an understanding boss, and an even more understanding babysitter! I’m sure when I was a kid we didn’t get “snow days”, but my Mother could probably have told you otherwise!
    It does make me angry to think of kids going without food because they can’t get to school.

I do love a snow day. But I am fortunate not to have to arrange child care, etc because we both work outside the home. That, and the other factors you mention, add another dimension to the snow day question.
    Kim@Co-Pilot Mom recently posted..Falling Off

I’ve resigned myself to snow days. My children have resigned themselves to a mother who doesn’t do glitter, craft, baking, or kids during a school day.
    Andrea recently posted..Saved

Another frustrating idea to consider: when the conditions are terrible yet school remains in session. Fortunately, as long as the school buses make it their destination and everyone is kept safe and warm in their most insulated coats and winter boots, I suppose they can make it. The safety of the children is always a first concern, and should remain a top priority.

Trackbacks