Why We Are Not Going To Disney

I expected a different outcome. For example if you were to give your children three choices for dinner: 1. Pizza 2. Noodles or 3. Cow liver, you would expect a fight to ensue between them over the pizza vs. noodles while the cow liver option is not even discussed.

Because they are kids. Little kids still in many ways and some things make sense to them. Like Pizza. And Disney.

Last year we decided to make going on a family vacation a priority. My husband hates when I talk about this, but I’m putting it out there because nothing is his fault or my fault or anyone’s fault, it’s just how we’ve all made sacrifices to raise our family. We decided that I would stay home with the kids while Jed started his own business. Both decisions were risky – we lost our insurance, our steady and larger income and security – but we did it because we decided it was important for me to be home and we had a certain amount of confidence in Jed’s business. And that family time was more important than money. I still believe this. But things like family vacations have taken a hit.

For a few years not having a big getaway didn’t seem like a big deal, but eventually I could tell that both of us were feeling like a big part of us was missing. We were both travelers before kids. Heck, we met on a flight to Bangkok. And we know that one of the biggest gifts we can give our kids is the gift of showing them the world.

Knowing we could plan for one big trip and it would be awhile before we could do this again, we decided to make a budget and a plan and let the kids choose the vacation based on what we could afford. We have been talking to them about Disney, as we have never been, and the whole “Is it a requirement for kids to go to Disney as least once while they are little guilt” was heavy on my heart last year – so we decided to make that an option as well.

IMG_2303-001

So we sat the kids down last January and told them that we could take a big vacation and these were the options they got to choose from:

1. A week in Disney World

2. A week on a cruise(Maybe a Disney cruise even)

3. A week at an all inclusive resort in Mexico or the Caribbean.

4. A week in Europe(probably just Amsterdam and Paris) – but we may have to delay our trip until the following Spring.

5. Two weeks in Costa Rica at a rental house on the beach

I honestly expected three votes for Disney as we had talked about it so much and they’ve heard so many stories from friends about going there. And we would’ve been okay with their decision and maybe a door of guilt would finally close.

But not one of them yelled out Disney. All three said “COSTA RICA!”

And then we knew they were all really our children. Because they also choose sushi over pizza most days.

So we are heading to Costa Rica with the knowledge this means The Mouse is probably dead to us and we have all accepted that and moved on. Moved on to Costa Rica this year and maybe a safari in Africa in a few years and then maybe a trek to Nepal or Thailand- back to where we met and our family journey started. And along the way I want to show them my apartment in Amsterdam and the castle where we married in Scotland.

And start making some global memories for our family.

Because I know this is only the beginning.

Comments

I imagine we go to Disney often enough to make up for those of you who jet off to places less pre-packaged. ;) When I am NOT at Disney I see it for all its faults: over the top marketing, gender stereotyped “role models”, way too much $$$$$$$$$, but when I am actually there I believe in magic. Believe it or not I am not a cynic when I am visiting The Mouse. That’s not to say a walk on a remote beach wouldn’t be fabulous, too. :)
    K.M. O’Sullivan recently posted..Raising Sons in a Rape Culture World

2. steph says

Love it! My ex and I agree on very little, but the idea of experiences for our son is one of them. He travels every year to work at the Telluride Film Festival. His dad and I both work in the museum field so he has attended art openings and visited historic sites since he was three weeks old. We will likely never go to Disney and I’m ok with that!

Sadly I would be the lone voice yelling Costa Rica!!! in my house. The Mouse’s hold is tight! LOL
    And hubby just has the look “and why are the kids coming with us??” ha
    but since we also have only one income, it is not even a blip chance on the radar at this point in time. But oh I feel ya – how I would love to show them this big wonderful world too.
    Rorybore recently posted..4 Fill In and a Special Deal at 40

4. AnnJ says

It must have been on Twitter that you asked opinions about taking children out of school for a vacation. Generally I am against that as it is very difficult for teachers to help students catch up on all they missed. However, seeing how you approach parenting and education, I feel your children will have a very enriching experience on this trip – nothing that could be taught in a classroom. I hope you’re having them keep a journal – it will be such a gift when they are older! Have a marvelous time!

5. Shannon says

I hope you all have a wonderful trip, Tracy! I hope I get a chance to hear about it at the bus stop. :-) I so look forward to the time that Sean and I can start having adventures like this with our girls!

6. Amanda says

We aren’t a Disney family either…we live in Orlando and haven’t been to Disney since we moved here! We love the beach, so beach trips are our thing. Enjoy Coast Rica!

Awesome! My sister and I grew up visiting (and camping in) National & State Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Battlefields, etc. We never went to major cities or Disney-like places. Neither of us would change a thing about the vacations we took as a family. And both of us would still choose Costa Rica over Disney any day. :-)
    a/k/a Nadine recently posted..Libraries

8. Andrea says

My kids have been to Disney World, and Disney Paris, and we’ve done two Disney Cruises we do like Disney, but my kids have also traveled the world – literally. Our vacations usually center around flying from one coast to another to visit family. But given the choice we would all choose a beach vacation in some exotic location over standing in line waiting for a minute or two on a roller coaster. Our next big vacation is to go back to Taipei so my daughter can learn about the place she was born and where she is from.

All that matters, and usually all they remember, is not the roller coaster but some moment we did something as a family. That’s what really counts.

As my eldest son looks toward high school graduation in the spring, it will be without the benefit of a Disney trip under his belt — and not a single regret, as we explored National Parks for the classic summer road trip vacation, a few Christmases spent in cities like Boston or NYC, and the quiet of the BWCA for some undistracted ever-increasingly scarce family time this past summer. Two years ago we splurged and combined several vacations into one with the memorable trip to Italy, after spending the first decade of marriage and early childhood years with budget-conscious vacations of weekend camping trips up the North Shore or elsewhere in our beautiful State. Whether big budget or small, the best part was the family memories created. Enjoy yours!
    Kat at travelgardeneat recently posted..LoLa, The Plucky Little Chicken That Could (With Your Help!)

10. Monika says

I love this!!! My kids have never been to Disney either, no desire at all!! But they’ve been to France, Italy, Germany and of course Switzerland ;). We did Mexico & Hawaii for beach vacations and now I want to go to Costa Rica!!! It looks heavenly!!!! We have Ireland on our list too, but it might not happen until 2015.