10 Realistic Tips For A Successful Cleanse

Jed sat across from me at last night and said “You look different. Good. Not that you didn’t look great before but somehow you look really good.”

Some people say their skin improves when they do a cleanse. They glow almost.

Jed came downstairs in a pair of pants that I did not recognize until he told me the story. “I haven’t been able to button these since 2002. Do you remember when I bought these in Germany in 2001? Seriously, I saved these because they are so awesome. And now I’m glad I did.”

Just five days after starting our cleanse.

Five days earlier Jed told me I was crazy for asking him to do this with me.

Four days earlier Jed thought he was going to die from lack of food.

But on day five he started questioning why we did not do this earlier.

And now on day eight of our ten day cleanse – I have to say we both feel amazing. A bit surprising to both of us as I truly did not know what to expect.

Have you ever tried a cleanse before? I hadn’t.

So here’s what I have found and I hope it helps you if you decide to try one. Or maybe you decide to run the other way and eat a candy bar…which I also totally understand.

how-to-cleanse

1. Make some goals. Why are you doing a cleanse? To detox? To lose weight? My goal with this cleanse was to detox and get myself craving better foods. The more I read about processed food and some of the stuff we eat I just really want to get our family reset to more raw and natural food. I don’t think Jed had any goals when we started except to survive and make me happy.

2. Decide what type of cleanse you want to do. Are you going to buy a prepackaged one? Juice cleanse? Dr. Oz? How long? I am not expert and honestly just took a friend’s recommendation. I wanted something that was easy with little prep work, not too expensive, was raw-food based and tasted good and this one fit the bill for my needs.

3. Do a cleanse with a partner, friend, spouse, mom, daughter, SOMEONE. It really helps to have someone to talk to and support you and knows what you are going through and it’s nice to have a cheerleader who understands you when you are craving a glass of wine and can talk you down. Even though Jed thought I was a little crazy for asking him to do this with me, I think he felt better knowing we were in this together. And I could laugh at him too – which was awesome.

4. It helps if you are not a parent! Ha – kidding kind of. The hardest part of the first few days was having to prepare food for my kids while I could not even taste it or lick the pan. So make a plan to have them cook for themselves or cook stuff that you hate. It’s great to talk about the cleanse with your kids though and the healthy reasons you are doing it.

5. You need to make it to day four. I’ll come clean here and say that days two and three kind of sucked. Day one was great because it was all new – but days two and three when you really can’t eat what you want and still have cravings are VERY HARD! But stay the course and remember your goals and on day four everything got so much easier as my cravings had already started to change, I was enjoying the green drinks and my energy level really peaked. And now I LOVE the taste of the drinks and feel amazing.

6. Surround yourself with healthy foods. Keep your kitchen stocked to the minimum and with only what you need for the cleanse. Jed was not a huge fan of fruits and veggies before the cleanse and now he craves and enjoys them.

7. There is no good time to do a cleanse. We did ours over Halloween, which was hard – but there is always something going on. Don’t wait to start it – just do it.

8. Exercise and be healthy. If you don’t feel good during a cleanse then I really believe there is something wrong – do you need to add more, do less, are you exercising. Maybe it’s not right for you. You should be feeling great.  Be concerned if you are not.

9. Prepare to pee a lot. We did not do a cleanse that.ahem.flushed out your system and you felt you could not leave the house, but this cleanse did flush out toxins and water weight in the form of pee. For the first three days I peed ALL.THE.TIME.

10. Plan for your transition back to food. Continue parts of your cleanse and small, healthy meals. We will be eating a lot of raw vegetables and fruit and healthy soups and other healthy foods in smaller portions.

I have to say that I was skeptical when we started this but now I’m a believer. Jed has lost weight and I feel lighter(no bloat and my tummy doesn’t hurt) and have so much energy. Instead of craving chocolate I crave squash and peppers. I am not even kidding. I went to a school function on Friday where they were serving my three favorite food groups – sushi, red wine and chocolate – and it did not bother me a bit that I did not partake of anything but water. Your body will start to crave good things and honestly, my skin looks amazing and I seem to be losing less hair.

What cleanse have you tried and why? Did you love the results?

Disclosure: I have no disclosure – I wasn’t compensated nor asked or paid to cleanse or use any particular product. Although I disclose that being paid to cleanse would be awesome. I’m not a medical professional and I know different things work for different people just because I am people. I do disclose that on day four I considered pouring BBQ sauce over my cat, but did not do this…so PETA can lay off. Truffle Cat is just fine. I also disclose that I had to promise my husband more sex for him to actually participate in the cleanse. This is not a requirement of most cleanses though, so if you don’t like sex – well then don’t do a cleanse with your spouse. Also, Jed disclosures that he was really whiny on day two because of no food. I’m not sure if he wanted you all to know that – but too bad. I also have to disclosure that I did eat ONE Snicker’s bar on November 1st. I still feel guilt because I used to be Catholic. If I wasn’t Catholic when I was eight year old then I’m sure I would have no guilt nor would I have felt the need to admit my sins.

Comments

and as I sit here wondering whether or not to take Aleve, reminding myself to use the Abreva before going to sleep, questioning whether I will sleep and contemplating the hormone saliva kit my gynae just sent me home with – you may well be the voice of reason ….
    sisters from another mister recently posted..ONE and Goats

I totally agree with all of these steps! Especially having someone to do the cleanse with. It gives you accountability! That’s a sure fire way to succeed at any goal you want to achieve. Thanks for writing this :) Very motivating.

I love that you and Michelle both had so much success with this. I keep contemplating it, but I’m just not sure. I’m not sure I have the will power (LOVE that Jed agreed to do it with you!), and I’m just not convinced that it feels “right” in the grand scheme of things. Does that make sense? I feel like our bodies were designed with the intent to chew, and eat, and consume real food, and a variety of food. Drinking the same drink all day every day for 10 days just feels off somehow… I don’t know. Thanks for sharing your tips though!
    Ann recently posted..Letter to Blog Spammers

• says

We did it with ‘flex’ foods so we could chew(eat) something(a raw veggie or fruit choice) three times per day. It made a huge difference for us.

This sounds so great to me. I keep putting it off, but I want to have more energy and feel healthier. My friend from h.school started juicing to lose weight and since Jan 1 has lost over 100 lbs and is no longer taking any pills for pre-diabetes and high blood pressure. He says he thinks so much more clearly now and feels fantastic. I don’t want to lose weight, but I want to be kinder to my body.
    anna whiston-donaldson recently posted..It’s All in the Jeans

I’ve never done one or even thought about doing one, but after reading this I think I might try it. But after the new year I don’t have the will power to turn down hot chocolate and cookies.
    Julia recently posted..Capture the Joy

• says

Thank you! We thought about doing our own raw foods/juice cleanse but I really wanted it to be easy, be prepared already and have the nutritional needs already worked into the plan – so we did Purium. I have many friends who have raved about the results – and now I know why!

6. Stacey says

This is awesome, I’d love to know which cleanse you chose… I’m also excited Jed is participating with you… TEAM WORK. Maybe Dave & I are next… :) :) :)

I’m pretty sure I have lost weight just reading this:). I’m glad this worked for you and I’m anxious to hear Jed’s version! See you soon to see your glowing skin!

When I eat clean, I absolutely crave healthy food. Last night we ate real, awesome food for dinner (instead of cheap, saving money boxed crap)and it just was SO satisfying.

Question: Would you do this will training for a half or full marathon? I’d worry I wasn’t getting enough calories.
    Laura recently posted..Race Bibs Revealed

• says

I decided to wait to start until my latest 1/2 marathon as I wasn’t sure how I would feel. But this week I ran a 10 miler and ran 3-5 every other day and felt great. Now if I was training for a marathon – I would for sure supplement with more food.

You’re so awesome Tracy! I agree– you have to have a goal, you have to really WANT to feel healthier/skinnier/kick a bad habit etc. to get through those first few days. I feel better than I have in years and I SWEAR my wrinkles are disappearing.

p.s. you need some $50 gift cards to hand out.
    Michelle recently posted..an East Millcreek Hallowe’en

This is awesome! (And way inspiring.) On the website there are three 10 day options…you did the cleanse? Maybe someday I’ll get up the courage to do this because I’ve heard such good things about cleansing (yeah for glowing skin!) and want to be nicer to my body.
    christine recently posted..My Love Will Find You

Honestly, this reminds me a lot of when I started the South Beach diet. Those first few days are TOUGH, but you’re right, once you stop craving the crap it’s a whole new world!

I love that Jed joined you, that is awesome! And eating/drinking REAL food is always good too. :)
    Elaine A. recently posted..Halloween 2013 (because it rhymes…)

12. Heather says

The main thing I’m taking from this is that your school functions involve sushi and wine. I love our schols, but we clearly need better functions.

I’ve never done a cleanse but I sort of want to. My skin, hair and waistline totally need it. I’m just afraid it will be too hard and I know I would have to do it alone and watching my husband and kids eat terrible delicious things sounds like torture.
    Marta recently posted..The Halloween That Almost Wasn’t.

First of all – you are cracking me up! Second, Congrats on the cleanse, it’s hard to stick with it. Third – I did a 24 day cleanse almost 2 years ago just after the new year and LOVED it. I think about doing another one all the time because I still remember of how great I felt. The first 5 days were the hardest because I had a terrible headache from no coffee! After that it was smooth sailing and you are right, no cravings for unhealthy foods. I’d like to do another one before the holidays start so I am down a few lbs before the eating season begins, plus hopefully it will keep me in line :)
    Trina O’Boyle recently posted..Easy Weeknight Turkey Meatloaf

Look at all these comments! Like many here you have me more interested in a cleanse than ever before. I like the idea of not prepping the stuff myself because I think that would send me over the edge. And honestly . . . they really SHOULD be offering you something by now!
    Nina recently posted..How to Give a True Compliment

Sorry. I feel like I’m spamming your whole comment thread. The Purium people found this post and emailed me saying, “Why aren’t you handing out gift cards?”

So, I have some $50 gift cards if anyone wants to try it. Just email me at mlehnardt8@msn.com.

Marketing to my friends feels obnoxious– but holy cow, this stuff works!
    Michelle recently posted..the Nursery

I’ve been avoiding reading your post because I like eating my crappy food. But I read it and now I want to do it. I would really like to crave water more instead of three cups of coffee and all of the french fries.

I think when I am done breastfeeding I will do this. I’ve been trying to adjust my diet and eat fewer calories or at least better calories by switching out breakfast (muffins and coffee) for green smoothies. I do feel better.

Hi there Tracy! I love your blog about Purium. I have yet to try the 10 Day Transformation myself. Your tips are very helpful. I forced my husband to do it with me. I was wondering why you didn’t become a Promoter for this product. I know it works because i am seeing a lot of my relatives transform and getting healthy and lose weight. I can not wait to start the program but I want to do a health assessment first to see how my cholesterol is doing and my sugar and all those stuff and take again later after the cleanse and see if theres any changes. Anyway, I love your photos, your blogs and everything about your site. I took the plunge to use and promote the product. I also have $50.00 gift card to give to anyone who wanst to try to transform their lives and be healthy and lose weight.

Trackbacks