Three Little Birds

Astrid started preschool this week which means that I now have seven and a half hours a week to myself. Which means I have time to do nothing really. And I wonder who invented the two and half hour preschool day idea? Because it wasn’t a mom.

preschool

So I’m going to blame preschool on men. Maybe white, Republic men who also try to take away reproductive rights from families.

OMG seriously, I’M KIDDING! Don’t send me hate mail.

Okay, quick – LOOK HOW CUTE SHE IS!

IMG_2303

And as much as I’m not religious or spiritual or even sane sometimes, I believe things do happen for a reason. I had hoped that Astrid would get into a public preK program this year – which did not happen. And I spend a few(many) days(months) upset about that.

But after just three days of preschool, I know she is right where she is suppose to be – in a classroom on a very part-time basis, having fun, learning about Bob Marley and dreadlocks and singing Three Little Birds while coming home to me for lunch and only spending seven and half short hours away from me each week.

IMG_2330

Because next year she’ll be gone for seven hours A DAY – so why rush it. Instead of worrying that she is not in preK, I’m going to worry about did we snuggle enough yesterday, did I tickle her belly and hear that deep laugh, let’s have chocolate for lunch and take a walk in the afternoon and wear silly shoes to the bus stop to pick-up her sisters.

And I’ll completely enjoy this last year before Astrid really starts school and has to stress about tests and homework and friends. Which really makes me sad right now. I received and email from Eloise’s 5th grade teacher about math placement tests and how stressed all of the kids are about them – as in our school they move kids around for ‘just right math’ so kids move to different grades for math…and everyone knows your math abilities. I don’t remember knowing this a kid. And my heart sunk when I got this note and I’m angry for these kids and angry as a parent if I’ve ever sent my kids a message that I care what grade math they are doing – because I just want them to be happy(and also, I cannot help with 7th grade math).

IMG_2312

And sometimes I wish my almost 11 year old could just stay home with me too and listen to some Bob Marley and visit the park and not stress about math tests. Because I’ve never used calculus to do my job and make my life more fulfilling, but some good music(and maybe a good twirly dress) – damn that makes me happy.

matilda-jane-tutu-skirt

“Rise up this mornin’,

Smiled with the risin’ sun,

Three little birds

Sittin’ by my doorstep

Singing’ sweet songs

Of melodies pure and true,

Saying’, “This is my message to you-o-o.”

“Singin’ Don’t worry about a thing,

‘Cause every little thing gonna be alright”

Singin’ Don’t worry about a thing,

‘Cause every little thing gonna be alright!”

Comments

I still can’t believe that the boys are in Kindergarten but I am so happy when they come home, full of (more) stories, and in the smallest ways show me how much they are learning.

It’s interesting that they have adjusted so seamlessly, I keep wondering ‘should it have been this easy?’

Astrid is so pretty..and the blue on her is stunning. And that Bob Marley song, the boys sing that to ME often, I’ll be weepy or worried and Gio will start humming “every little thing is gonna be alright” mama.

that’s when I know my two little birds are flying just right. :)
    Kir recently posted..Someone Like You Makes it All Worth While

I think I needed to read this today. It’s been a long morning with a short day at preschool and sometimes I just need a reminder from Bob about what’s important. Three Little Birds was my sons song when he was a baby, it got us both through so much.
    Julia recently posted..Everything Special To Me

Geez she’s cute. And yes 2.5 hour preschool was NOT developed by a mom. I really thought hard about whether or not to send Zoe to school 2 or 3 days a week. I decided on 3, but I don’t think I’ll increase it next year, which will be her last in preschool. 3 days is perfect. For her and for me.

And moving around grades for math? That’s insane. You guys have crazy schools up there!
    Leigh Ann recently posted..An unexpected reflection

4. Jen says

Awwwww, Tracy, I hear you about the whole leveling and testing. Even as a teacher, I’m disgusted by our whole culture of TEST, TEST, TEST. And they wonder what’s wrong with education in this country………In our district they level kids out in FIRST GRADE. And, believe me, those kids, even at that age, know which teacher has the high/middle/low groups. It’s maddening. And, even though the school will surely be angry at me, I’m seriously considering opting my girls out of standardized tests when they reach the grade that those are given. I just don’t see the point.

I love, love, LOVE your “why rush it” philosophy! We ended up putting our 3.5 year-old twins in preschool 2 days a week. We agonized over the decision, though, because our school district has an incredible public school preschool…but the school system’s preschool is 4 days a week and requires pre-admission testing.

My stay-at-home-dad husband said they would grow up soon enough and he had no need to put them in school any more than necessary. He, too, loves the mid-morning snuggles, the school pick-up runs and the lazy afternoons that will be gone all-too-soon…
    jen @ and two more makes FIVE recently posted..Guest post: You are not alone

What a beautiful littlest girl you have!

Yes, school starts in earnest soon after preschool. Take the time to hum Bob Marley while it’s just the two of you, and don’t forget to have her teach her two older sisters… :)
    Andrea recently posted..The Ultimate Job

Oh, she’s a beauty.
    I’m so glad things are working out as they’re supposed to.
    And I’m kinda jealous of the 7.5 hours/ week of just you time. In a couple of months, the littlest goes to play school. The prospect of three free mornings a week is making me simultaneously giddy and sick in my stomach. Motherhood, eh?
    Alison recently posted..Living

She is adorable. I thought about the full time public preschool option, this year, too, but instead decided to go with the two and a half hours in the morning thing. Which really means not a lot of down time, but I know that soon there will be full time school and I will miss my little guy. Probably. I’m so glad she’s having a good year!
    Julia recently posted..The Fourth Birthday Party: Ninja Turtle Style