6 Good Things About Summer #vlogging

Summer starts here officially in about 42 hours. That’s when my kids get out of school and we go out for ice cream. They’ve pretty much already emptied out their desks and dumped them into our garbage. It’s also my understand that this week is mainly a movie marathon. Typically they just go outside and play the last week of school, but it’s like 52 and pouring and rain, so shark movies will have to do.

I admit I used to dread Summer. When kids are littler they need well – more active parenting in many forms like actual playing with them, supervising them in the backyard, taking them to playgrounds, arranging for camps, and maybe even buying craft crap for rainy days. It’s exhausting this whole active parenting thing. But something magical happens when kids turn about 7 or 8 – they can usually find a friend in the neighborhood to play with, they can play in the yard without you standing watch, and they can even just hang in their room reading a book for eight hours because they can. They can make their own fun – without a parent breathing down their necks. You know, they can find the kind of fun like we used to do when we were kids. I just hope they don’t start smoking behind the garage.

Now I love Summer. Summer is easy. We can do a few camps – which yes, my kids are going to a full week of a sleep-away camp, we can hit the pool a few times, and we are heading out on a big road trip out East for about a month…but other than that – they can just do whatever they want to do and they are old enough to choose and also old enough to help with chores, make their own snacks and lunches and take care of their sister sometimes.

I haven’t vlogged in awhile, but MamaKat asked what 6 things we were excited for this Summer – and I thought a vlog would be fun. Evidently, so did Astrid.

So what are you most looking forward to this Summer? Do you love Summer with the kids home, or do you wish for year-round school?

Comments

1. Lisa says

Oh I love summer too. I can be off my intense morning schedule for a change which is a welcome break. Have a fabulous summer and kick back and enjoy the ride!
    Lisa recently posted..A Juris Doctrate

2. Sabine says

Astrid is sooo adorable!!
    LOOOOOVE Summer! Just looking forward to not having a schedule…getting up when we want to….going to the beach..the lake..doing all those fun day trips…and heading to California this summer..showing Serena where we spent our honeymoon 20 years ago!!!
    SCHOOL ALL YEAR ROUND!!!…O my gosh…they would have to hire teachers for the summer session…we teachers would never make it all year round…come June..we are DONE!
    Have a super summer!!!

3. Sabine says

Oh…and we are heading to MOA again this summer..us Winnipeggers love heading down your way for a great shopping get-away!

Summer is definitely less stressful here than the school year. I love seeing homework and studying come to a close for a little while. And with two teenagers and a ten year old, my kids can be pretty self sufficient when I need them to be.
    But I do miss those three year old little toes!
    Shannon recently posted..And We’re Off!

I love summer for its temperature and lack of schedule. I hate summer because there is no way for me to not work full time and there is nothing I’d like more than to visit museums and libraries and the pool and just be with my kids all day (not to say we wouldn’t tire of each other or that every day would be great or not tv-filled). I can flex my schedule so that I’m off once every two weeks and then I can work 6:30-3:30 and be home by 4:15. That leaves more time the hard truth is the majority of the day is gone and I have to hear secondhand how great the new exhibit is.
    Arnebya recently posted..If You Loved Me, You’d Buy Me a Groupon for a Cleaning Service

6. Andrea says

I’m looking forward to summer because it means I don’t have to get up at 6:30 to make lunches for my kids. Or shuttle my middle schooler to the bus at 7. Or be showered and dressed by 8:15 to catch the little ones bus.

I’m sure by week two I’ll be back to wishing that they were in school instead of telling me they are bored.

I am not a fan of summer, I just can’t stand the heat. I’m a big fan of sandals, though, so as long as it isn’t snowing/raining I rock those bad boys through spring and fall too. Yep I’m one of those people that wear sandals with long jeans…but never with socks ;)
    Your daughter is such a cutie-pie!
    Jenn recently posted..Awkward: I sold my teacher what?!!!