Three Is Hard

I let Eloise stay home from school last Wednesday. Sure, I let her believe that she was staying home because her teeth hurt from her new retainer...but in all honesty I welcomed the thought of having her home to help me a bit.

I was my sickest on Wednesday and Astrid was on day eight of being sick and whiny. So ever-loving-omg-only-a-three-year-old-can-possibly-be-this-whiny.

And I hadn’t left my house in eight days and I wanted a little company who could follow a conversation and not want to watch anything animated.

By the time the day ended I pretty had decided to homeschool Eloise because 10 is so easy and brilliant and I do proclaim it to be the most perfect age ever and now want to put her in my pocket and keep her 10 forever.

Or maybe it’s just because three is so sucky. I mean sure three can have it’s awesome moments. But three is hard.

And now I have proof that three is hard – because after just two hours of being at home, Eloise said “Mom, Astrid makes it really hard to just relax!”

And I said to Eloise “Motherhood makes it really hard to relax! My job doesn’t ever stop, Eloise…but yes, yes. Three is hard! Even you, sweet Eloise – were hard at times when you were three.”

Eloise replied “Well I’m sorry about that now. If I could do it again, I would be a much happier and easier three because after experiencing this long today with Astrid I think everyone should just go ahead and apologize to their mothers for when they were three.”

We’ve decided to contact Hallmark with card ideas.

“Dear Mother, So sorry three sucked. But look how awesome 30 is! Here’s a vacation to Hawaii for you!”

“Dear Mom, Roses are red, violets are blue, didn’t three suck even more than two! Sorry about that!”

“Dearest Mother, You should be sainted because I was tainted – let’s never do three again!”

Anyway, I just wrote this post to let you know that we are all feeling better, have actually left the house, and I think the best way to curb teen pregnancy is to give all teens a sick three year old for a week.

Comments

1. Leigh Ann says

That face! I know it well. Three (specifically 3.5) nearly killed me with the twins. And Zoe’s about to turn 3, but although she’s half the number of kids they were, she’s 5 times more ornery.

2. Mama Melch says

Oh three, I’m soo not looking forward to meeting you again. Maybe this time will be different? Our littlest is 2 1/2 now and I swear the whining has already started. Deep breaths and lots of Wonder Pets for you and yours.
    Mama Melch recently posted..Due Date

3. Shannon says

Oh yes, three. I remember that time. And I remember thinking when my youngest was three and my oldest was nine, how big and grown up the older one was. What’s funny is that now the youngest is ten, and, even though she’s as tall and mature as her older sister was at that age, she still seems so young to me. I guess it’s all a matter of perspective.

I’m glad you are all feeling better
    Shannon recently posted..Vacation Planning 101

4. Blythe says

It’s a good thing 3 is so darn cute. I didn’t really get involved in the whole “raising kids” thing until “my” youngest was 4 (I mean, I knew him at age 3, but wasn’t his nanny until age 4). And wow. 4 is fun. As is 5, 6, 7… I can comment confidently up to 12, then I don’t know anymore. But “my” oldest is turning 13 in exactly one month. GASP!
    Blythe recently posted..2012

5. Alison says

I have nearly a whole year of 3 lef to go. Today, I cracked at 1.30pm, 7.5 hours after I woke up, because I hadn’t sat down all day, the 3 year old was sick and not in school and already had two meltdowns, the baby woke up after 30 minutes from his usual 2 hour nap, and there were freaking cookies all over the floor I just cleaned.

So, can you send Eloise over? I promise I’ll feed her, and make cupcakes and give her an allowance.

(glad everyone’s better and you finally left the house)
    Alison recently posted..Memories Captured – January Linkup

6. Jessica says

Three is crazy isn’t it? Sawyer is honestly the most unreasonable little person on the planet. I think somehow when your youngest is three you see it that much more because everyone else is getting more civilized by the day and they are, um, not.

So glad you guys are feeling better and I would like to buy one of your cards as soon as they are in production.
    Jessica recently posted..Why I’m not a craft blogger

7. Kristen says

My favorite card was “Dear Mom – Do you remember three – all about poop and pee – and you never said ‘wheeee’ – instead you were curled up in a ball saying ‘woe is me’ – well now I’m 40 and use the potty!”
    The woe is me did me in! So true! We all need to apologize to our moms for those rough years. I would also have to include 15. I was rotten. :-(
    Glad you all are feeling better. We are still getting and giving. I’m going through lots of ice cream because you can’t be drunk and take care of your kids. ;-)
    Kristen recently posted..Memories Captured – Music Feeds The Soul

8. Jackie says

Three is hard and while apologizing is nice and they need to save it for later one when they’re teens because teens are harder… I’ll take the 3yr old any day because I know that at 3 they still like me every single day. I can’t say that about the teens.
    Jackie recently posted..Monday Menu ~ Cranberry Orange Scones

9. Arnebya says

I know for a fact that my lack of interest in boys/sex as a teen had to do with younger cousins, babysitting other non-familial kids, and that herpes video they showed us in 7th grade. If Eloise starts to get a little sassy in middle school, cue the herpes video!
    Arnebya recently posted..Wanna See My Butt?

10. Kir says

3. Oh wow, 3.
    Do you know when the boys were 3 I used to tell anyone who would listen to me that if we got to their Birthday, I was getting shirts that said “ALL 4 made it to 4″ and I wasn’t kidding.

3 is just…oh dear mother of god..awful. Even when it’s that cutie pie face of hers. (and she is beautiful)

xo
    Kir recently posted..Heartbreak Warfare

11. Ali says

Agreeeeed! Justin turned 4 and it was like God came down and told me my dues had all been paid and now everything would be easy! And then I woke up and I had a 4-year-old boy who thinks “poop” is the funniest word on the planet.
    Ali recently posted..The Number Between 12 and 14

12. Not a Perfect Mom says

I can’t believe you all were sick for so freaking long, I thought Astrid would never get better…
    and 3 does suck…Brooke turns three this month as so far she’s been letting me know by biting me, hitting her siblings, and throwing her food down on the floor with a massive NO! when she’s unsatisfied with what I’ve made..
    Not a Perfect Mom recently posted..The Smell

13. denise says

Hello! looking forward to the This Is Childhood series and reading your words. So sorry you’ve been sick but I’m so glad you took the time to share your funnies here.

14. Sahnya says

One of my favorite quotes I hear in the preschool circuit is “You always here about the terrible twos, but no one tells you about the F-ing fours.” Consider yourself warned. Though I think many ages have their challenges …. the rebellious three year old who told me to “chill” today at school; the teenage angst my friend is experiencing with her 17 yr old. I do love 10. How can we just pause this age??!!

15. Melanie H. says

SO glad to hear that you are all healthy & among the living again! I had to totally laugh at this post, totally relatable here! Jack, who was home sick today, said to me, “Hey Mom, I think Drew {3} could definitely win a gold medal…in whining!” It must be an outbreak among 3 year olds, an epidemic!
    Melanie H. recently posted..A Crafty Christmas

16. Kristin @ What She Said says

Tracy, this is brilliant. I want to give my own mother one of these Hallmark cards and I sure as hell hope Lil’ Bit will someday want to give me one, too, because I just can’t with three. Seriously, with the whining. Seriously?

Yes. Three is hard.