Monday Monday

I’m going to take five minutes to write this post. I know I have five minutes maybe because Astrid is asleep again thank god, Esther is still in bed, Eloise is eating two waffles and drinking a glass of milk, and the cat that is sick or something(did I mention this) just threw up a few minutes ago so he’s good to go for the next half and hour because I’m cleaning up cat puke off of some soft surface because puking on hard floors is so 1796.

Eloise is no longer sick. I can’t decided if Esther is sick anymore. Her eyes look bad and her cough is bad, but she’s functioning so we will decide when I wake her again in 10 minutes.

Astrid is still sick. Day 5 – so I’ve finally decided to take her into the clinic today with the other thousands of people who have the flu right now. Sometimes I question my parenting style. I’m one of those parents who avoids going to the doctor for as long as possible and hope everything works itself out. None of my kids have taken an antibiotic. No ear infections or seriously illnesses. Eloise hasn’t seen a doctor since she turned five and got all of her shots for kindergarten. I’m currently knocking wood on my forehead.

So making an appointment today is giving me the shakes and sweats because it’s really not a place I want to be. But it’s time. Maybe. We will see when she wakes.

Also I think I need a vet appointment because the cat puking is honestly the most concerning.

I keep seeing all of these posts about New Year Resolutions and One Word for 2013 and Goals and Such and it’s honestly made this week a difficult one for me as someone in this house has been sick for for the 10 days and goal setting, planning, even dishes are difficult right now.

That’s the thing about motherhood – you can plan plan plan and set goals galore for yourself and your family  – but when someone gets sicks – everything comes to a standstill and you just survive and do what’s right. And spend your day wiping noses, filling water cups and mopping up puke from the floor.

Work deadlines pass unanswered with only my apologies. Sorry.

And you are thankful for good friends who bring a meal and a bottle of wine.

And count small blessings like the premiere of Season 3 of Downton Abbey. And that no one threw up during it. Okay, well the cat did once. Damn cat.

And I am trying to make a promise to you today that this is the last time you will hear about the sick.

Or the cat.

Tomorrow maybe the weather or the price of a head of lettuce? Do people still buy heads of lettuce?

*******

Oh, and if you written something much more eloquent than this(hasn’t everyone) and you live or can travel to the Twin Cities for our May 9th Listen To Your Mother Show – our call for submissions IS OPEN until the end of this month. Visit our site to get the details and submit your writing about motherhood. You don’t have to be a mom or even be a woman to submit. Just have a mom, know a mom and write something about motherhood that you want heard.

Monday Monday <—I’m going to slay you and move on now.

Comments

Sick sucks, and so does being the care-taker whenever it involves puke or fevers or deciding when to go to the doctor so they can tell you how you either should have come sooner or shouldn’t be there at all. Enjoy your cuddles, and I hope your whole house is healed soon.
    Mama Melch recently posted..Performing Girly?

Ah, Tracy – you have definitely had your hands full. All the planning in the world can’t stop your family from getting sick or the unexpected to happen when you least, well, expect it.

I am hoping all the lovies feel better. Stay well, yourself, Mommy. And as for all the other stuff? Even those of us without a sick household are perpetually behind right now. Ok, I am at least.

xoxo,
    Kiran
    Kiran @Masala Chica recently posted..Today’s Post Brought to You by the Letter S

Right there with ya, babe. I’ve limped into this new year on the heels of the flu (Lil’ Bit and me, together at the same time). Standstill, indeed. Fuck this one word bullshit (all due respect to those who are embracing it), but I’m just trying to motivate to take down my Christmas tree at this point.

And if it makes you feel any better, I didn’t schedule a doctor’s appointment for Lil’ Bit until three full days after she developed her fever, which did not go away and so then I thought to myself, “Huh… maybe we, like, have the flu or something.”
    Kristin @ What She Said recently posted..One of These Is Not Like the Others

Awww, my friend, I am sending you all the well wishes. I wish you fever free days and vomit free nights. I wish you clean sheets and fresh air. No need for goals and plans right now. Get well, all of you.
    Shannon recently posted..This is my first post…

I still buy heads of lettuce because the bagged salad sucks and gets all ick phooey wilty too soon. (I’ll buy bagged spinach, though). Plus, if I want lettuce on my sandwich, I so don’t want the pieces from the bag.

Anyway, I too am a last minute dr. visitor (for myself and the girls (unless of course it’s cooch related in which case I’LL SIT HERE UNTIL YOU CAN FIT ME IN BECAUSE IN A MINUTE I’M GOING TO SCRATCH IT OFF.)) You’re welcome.

Oh, that baby does look sick. I hope she’s ok, just slower to recover than the other two. My girls don’t do anitbiotics/have never had anything to warrant them but I do take them in for annual checkups. It’s because I like to catch up with their doctor.
    Arnebya recently posted..Just One

After reading your blog I no longer have to wonder how everyone is doing!!! I pray you and your house are well soon. Since Jed is not staying home with the sickies I hope he’s bringing home the evening meals for everyone, if not he should be! A change of scenery is in order. Love to all.

7. Jen says

Awwww, Tracy, I feel for you. I’m the same way—we only seem to make doctor’s appts. when we’re really at the end of our ropes. I don’t know if that’s good or not, but that’s the way we are. My girls were both sick over Christmas but have bounced back quickly—a lot quicker than my husband and myself—we’re the sick ones in the family right now. Whatever these super germs are that are out there—–one thing is for sure; they’re strong and nasty! I hope that your ENTIRE household (cat included :) is feeling better SOON SOON SOON!!!!!!

Oh no! Astrid is still sick? Well wishes to all…including the cat! Also, I hope to hell that the American Girl dolls can’t pick up human germs! You will need to turn part of your home into a hospital wing! xo
    Kristen recently posted..The Year of 40

So many people are so sick. Just blah. And you are right. Everything just kind of stops while you triage, but then it is over and life slowly picks back up again where it left off.
    Jennifer recently posted..Word of the Year

I’m the same kind of mother. If I take them in, it’s nothing. If I wait it out, it turns into the flu or something and I’m too late for tamiflu.

Sometimes as parents we have to live in the moment instead of planning for the future. Good moms like you know when it’s time to do either.

11. Sarah says

So sorry they all are/have been sick including the cat. My mother was the same – did not take us to doctors other than for vaccinations, when we were growing up. Scottish background-hot bath or shower, wash hair and in the direst of emergencies, a hot toddy were her cure-alls. Maybe you should make yourself a hot toddy to get through it all? Best of luck.

Oh my goodness–ten days . . . it’s war on the flu at this really.

And Amen to THIS: “That’s the thing about motherhood – you can plan plan plan and set goals galore for yourself and your family – but when someone gets sicks – everything comes to a standstill and you just survive and do what’s right. And spend your day wiping noses, filling water cups and mopping up puke from the floor.”

Ain’t that the truth.
    Nina recently posted..The Relaunch of Great New Books

Ugh! I clearly remember those bouts of illness that seemed to just cycle though the family. Ending just in time to start all over with a new virus. Hang in there…the sun might come out tomorrow!

Oh, you.

Thinking about you all.

Crossing fingers for all done.

Also, the cat. Eeew.

{We can discuss the merits of dogs and white wine and yoga pants later, once everyone’s better. You’re welcome.}

xo