What I Could Be Doing

It’s nearly 7am and I’m sitting on the edge of one couch while Astrid fitfully sleeps next to me. Thank god. I hold my coffee like it’s my only tie to the outside world as I delicately balance it in my cold hands as not to spill on her and to also find a place for it to rest on the small side table between the tissue box, the Motrin, my phone and the television remotes as I search around in the dark. Did I also mention that Eloise joined us on this couch a few hours ago because she is now throwing up? Details.

Astrid has been sick since Wednesday night. I haven’t left the house since -well until yesterday when we had to get to CVS for more tissues and Motrin and maybe a dark chocolate bar for me. Okay, and Starbucks is right next store to CVS so I grabbed some lifesaving supplies(read Grande Non-Fat Latte No Foam) and the cute young single people in there without kids noticeably kept their distance from the kid in my arms.

You know, because of the dried yellow and green snot below, on, and above her nose from the 2000 times we wiped it and then it’s like 400 below zero so it just kind of dries there and if you know kids – when you approach them with a wet washcloth they scream like it’s death so you just leave the snot because you are typically at home.

Until you are not.

And then you are one of those people holding a snotty-nosed kid. You know, the mom in her yoga pants and no make-up. I’ve also decided that no matter how awesome 44 is – 44 is still slightly scary without make-up and lack of sleep. Just ask my barista at the corner of Grand and Lex.

I remember being 28 and not wanting(nor admittedly really liking) kids and staying at least 100 yards away from any snotty-nosed kid because ewww. So, I tried to give these cute young people that all knowing looking and kind of pointed at Astrid in my arms and said “Right, gross huh?” but somehow they didn’t believe I was still in their club. I wanted to be their people.

I’m not sure what gave it away. This new club I belonged to? The non-fat? The no-foam? The sick kid in my arms that only I could think was still so beautiful at that moment? How I pulled out a medical card instead of my credit card and 2 tampons fell to the floor while doing that?

So I just took my coffee to go and put it into one of my 10 minivan cupholders and drove away for an afternoon of Doc McStuffins episodes, bleaching down furniture, but most importantly snotty-nosed kisses from my favorite three year old. Oh, and maybe some purse organization.

******

If you have a kid who is NOT sick this week – here’s some fun things to do in the Twin Cities! I co-compiled an article with Galit Breen for Scary Mommy’s travel guide about all of the awesome things to do with kids here. It kind of makes you want to move here, doesn’t it.

Happy Weekend.

Comments

Boo, sorry for all the sick in your household. Poor babies.

I typically have a snot-nosed kid once in a while. When I’m not wiping my own nose, I’m trying to wipe theirs (and yes, what is it about the screaming? Maybe the over-enthusiastic booger removing traumatized them?)

Get well soon, all of you. xo
    Alison recently posted..Three

I used to think kids were so gross. Now I wipe their Moses with my hand or my own shirtsleeve if I can’t get to a tissue. Related: Buy more tissues. Get better soon, girls.

3. Kristin says

Senfing tons of get well wishes to those beautiful girls. Need me to bring some chicken soup for them and wine for you? ;) xoxo

this has been the funkiest season ever, I swear….more snot and flu than I’ve seen in years…
    and I’ll totally move there….if you can make it not snow so I can wear open toe shoes all the time
    Not a Perfect Mom recently posted..Yes, I Am Alive

Emerging from the cocoon of sickness to visions of normal is frustrating and enlightening and so perfectly captured here in your words. As for the twin cities, I would LOVE to move back, sadly my husband isn’t on board.

oh no! you could have called me to do cvs/Starbucks run for you my dear. I will bring down some soup and wine if you want, just let me know! long distance hugs to all (so I don’t catch it!)

I loved your post. Sorry to hear that your little one is sick. Actually, I’m a big baby when I get sick like that so I understand her feelings. Nothing like Mom to give a hug, kiss, and back rub when your sick. Not that mine is still around to do that and if she was at my age there would be a definite “ewwww” factor in it even for me but I remember them well. I look forward to reading more posts.

Nelson
    Nelson recently posted..Happily married for 37 years…however, we’ve been married 42!

8. Vikki says

There are a million things in this post that make me so glad that I have come to know you, especially the tampons and the no-foam thing.

Wishing ou all health.
    Vikki recently posted..Slippery Slope

My daughter threw up this morning. Ick! It must be going around. And I thought she was just trying to get out of cello lessons. Oops!
    I hope your little one is well soon! It’s no fun being sick or having sick kids as home.

P.S. I love your and Galit’s list of fun family things to do in the Twin Cities. You nailed it!
    Dara Dokas recently posted..SHINE – My Word for 2013!

I’m sure she was beautiful, gunky snot and all. And it’s amazing the things we’ll do when our kids are sick, the things we would otherwise find too embarrassing or we’d say we’ll just wait until we’ve showered/changed/done our hair/put on makeup. Whatever. Coffee. Now. DON’T GET CUT, BITCH.

Also, my Preparation H fell out of my purse and slid across the bathroom floor to land two stalls away last summer. Tampons…butt cream…all the same on the I Am Mortified But You Know What? Fuck It-ometer.

How do we still find them beautiful, even in their grossest, snottiest moments. I hope the snot is long gone by now and you are enjoying your lattes relatively germ-free.
    anymommy recently posted..One-liners