Mama Bear

Yesterday I picked my kids up from school early. We went out for gelato and then bought take-out for dinner from their favorite place. We came home and had a picnic in the living room while Frosty The Snowman played in the background of our giggles.

We dressed in layers – finding mittens and dry boots. We put on furry hats and zipped up tight and we walked to the sledding hill. Sisters – Eloise pulling Astrid while I pulled Esther. Astrid sung ‘Frosty’ the whole way getting most of the words mixed up.

After sledding we came home and the girls stayed outside making a snow cave and became baby polar bears. They asked me to play too and be the ‘mama bear named Arctic’ and I easily obliged where maybe the day before I would’ve just gone inside for a coffee and Facebook.

This Is What A Kindergartener Looks Like

But now I was Arctic the Mama Polar Bear and yet I could not figure out how to build that cave high enough or strong enough to protect my cubs forever. Snow falls. Snow melts.

Snow doesn’t keep away the bad guys that we have to talk about with our children.

So all I can do is crawl in the snow with them and laugh a little more and cherish even the smallest moments of a picnic in the living room and a sled down the hill.

And pray for the families who lost their snow cave makers. The world is grieving. Pray for peace.

Comments

She’s adorable. I’m hugging her through my screen like an embarrassing uncle Lance.

I did the same with my girls even though they’re 2nd grade, 4th grade and 11th grade.

With each blink of my eyes a small part of me, the little girl who believed anything was possible, thinks that maybe this time the truth will change.

Yesterday was unfathomable today feels nearly unlivable. We all must channel the child in us who never gives up and we must use that stamina of spirit to change the world.

‘I could not figure out how to build that cave high enough or strong enough to protect my cubs forever’ Beautifully said. Such a sad, sad day for all of us.
    Nina recently posted..Just sick.

I was very detached yesterday because I couldn’t fathom what was happening. I lost it when I went to check on my girls and saw their perfect sleeping bodies in their beds. How terrible. What a beautiful post.
    Leigh Ann recently posted..That Christmas

I kept my tears at bay for most of the day yesterday. Stayed off the computer and like you had dinner in front of the TV keeping my loves a little closer. I talked with my two oldest abut what happened. The youngest is thankfully oblivious. When I tugged them into bed one by one, the tears came and I thanked my lucky stars.
    Susi recently posted..Hubby to the rescue… and a few fill ins!

I am done. I am so done and angry and sad and wanting to do something and crying and they were just babies and parents and families and friends are going to bed without them, waking up without them, and I am so done. All I have is prayers but I want to have more. All I have to offer is thoughts but I wish I had more. I wish.
    Arnebya recently posted..Imagination, Reality, and Fear: Bitchy Bedfellows