It’s come to my attention that based upon my last post you might just think that tween girls are all attitude having, bad fashion wearing, top 40 music listening, hormonal mall rats.
And I’d like to correct this assumption.
I mean yes they do fit those stereotypes well at certain points of their busy days. But they are like OMG not all that.
And I’d be sad forever to know that I’ve skewed your perception.
Because I think what’s even more important that you know – is the real truth about tween girls….
1. Tween girls will spend time in their room wanting some quiet, alone and independent space – and maybe they don’t want their siblings to come in, but as a mom – well we are always welcome. I still see her face light-up when I take the time to knock and enter and sit on her bed and talk about silly things and not so silly things because tween girls love us moms and need us moms even if they sometimes try not to admit it. Tween girls still like to spend time with us. Cherish this time before they are teens and then start driving and start mainly hanging with friends.
2. Tween girls will act and look too big for your lap. And maybe they are even big enough to wear your shoes – but you will find that given the chance they will still try to find those moments to curl up on your lap. These moments may get farther apart but when they present themselves, grab and hug your tween with all of your might because they still need that hug.
3. Tween girls might love an episode of iCarly and even have permission to watch The Hunger Games on a Friday night…but watch closely..because I still find my tween watching Mickey Mouse Club House and Curious George and asking to go see the latest Madagascar movie.
4. Tween girls might act like they just want to do ‘older girl things’ and like they are too old for toys…but trust me, you will find them playing dolls with their siblings and opening a coloring book if given the chance.
5. Tween girls are old enough to think beyond themselves and you see them helping siblings, pitching in to help a neighbor and taking responsibility for their own homework and cleaning their room. Praise them. And remember that tweens take pride in a certain amount of responsibility and independence – give it to them.
6. Tween girls might like to sit with friends and giggle about things but you will also find them outside going down slides and jumping into leaf piles.
7. Tween girls might love the latest fashion but can still find the funny in wearing a panda hat out in public.
8. Tween girls might cry easily but they’ll be the first to admit that they love a good tickle-fest and giggle-fest in the family room.
9. Tween girls may have a palate that is changing and appreciate better food, but still love to order off the kids menu so they can have the toy or the ice cream cone.
10. Tween girls may act like they know it all but truly they are the most innocent and pure yet thoughtful age group around.
Do you remember how it was to be a tween. To want to be big for the good stuff that comes when you are big – yet want to stay small for the good stuff that comes when you are small. Do you remember how hurtful and confusing and sometimes amazing that can feel. Well tween girls wants all of that, and it’s our job as parents and recognize when they want to be big and want to be small and just completely spoil them in that feeling right then and there.
Let’s celebrate our tweens and remember to give them hugs and space just when they need it, and just know that you have one of the most special people in the world living right under your roof. Cherish them.