Birds of a Hair Feather…

The world shifted and people went crazy when Steven Tyler appeared on American Idol this season.

Now I am kind of hot for Steven Tyler and his bad boy ways and his amazing wardrobe and stroke worthy rocker hair…but I don’t really want to look like him.

But it seems that every girl under 30 does.

Everyone is getting hair feathers these days.

(Photo credit here)

Even our paper wrote about it this week. Of course with a Minnesota spin and how it was pissing off the local fisherman because salons are basically stealing their feather supplies.  Pretty sure the New York Times article took a different spin.

So my small children have been asking for hair feathers. I told them they could when school was out and they could sport them for the Summer.

Until I found out that it cost $35 to get a couple of feathers woven into your hair.

And then I died. And said no. And they got sad. So I photo-edited a picture of what Esther may look like with hair feathers and hoped that made them happy. It did not.

So I started calling around to local salons to see if it could be done for cheaper or for a two-fer, or I could sweep floors –  and it turns out when a trend it this big, prices stay high. I guess my economics classes in college completely failed me. Or I skipped that class because it was $1 beer night.

So I went to twitter asking if anybody knew anybody who would do it for less or maybe to even pretend they knew what they were doing and just come over and glue some feathers to my daughter’s heads. I would be happy to blog about it and pimp their name and services. I would possibly even make my daughters, who were now properly feathered, wear a sign for the next two months.

Twitter was less than helpful. But what they did instead was think that “I” wanted feathers – not my kids.

Let’s just get one thing straight here people. Just as women over 40 should NEVER EVER put a bow or flower in their hair so help me god, they should also NEVER wear feathers..

..because if we do, then we actually DO look like Steven Tyler.

Yeah, I’ve pretty much already decided on my Halloween costume for this year.

Comments

With menopause just a few years away, I bet I can grow my own.

I did actually find a few DIY videos this weekend. Thinking about attempting it after a trip to Sally’s. Do you think I should do pink or purple?

Okay so when I first started reading this I was totally thinking you were talking about those cheap multi-colored feathers that were attached to a clip and you bought them like at the local summer carnivals in the 80’s.

Does anyone else know what I am talking about?

Anyone?

The good thing about having multiple children of the same sex is that it saves you from doing ridiculous things with your children.

Um, you do mean the roach clips we hung from our car mirrors? Or at least I did. I need to find a good head shop to buy a few of those.

2. MommaKiss says

Those are called roach clips.

I have the feathers. Thanks for calling me out.

I’m getting pink, soon – thanks to j. Torres.

In four years I am ripping those out of your cute little head. I bet your feathers are sexy.

Does it make me even less cool that I have never heard of hair feathers until this post? At this moment I fear that I will be one of those moms who has no idea what is “in” and will be suggesting styles to my kids that are from 10 years ago.

I think you should do a few pink stripes next time. xo
    Jessica recently posted..She Did It

4. Izzy'sMom says

You have to get them the feathers..they are so cute! Isabelle has hot pink right now. We got them at our salon but I have heard that Ulta sells a diy version.

5. jill r says

Love Steven Tyler. I watched AI for the first time this year the whole way through.

I’ll be praying for a 1/2 of Groupon for feather installation services so that your girls can look like some of his offspring.

I did get feathers and I love them. I got them in my daughter’s hair too but only because my lady is awesome and charged me nothing for my kids. I would not have paid $35 though to put them in my kids hair. That is crazy.

Not following hair trends is a good reason to have a penis. I doubt that if I had sons they would be asking for feathers. Well maybe they would and I would be totally okay with that.

So happy to find your blog! I found you thru the small style link up! Your post for the link up sounds just like me! Hence the name Baby Shopaholic! Your girls are too cute and super fly!

I would shave my daughter’s head before I spent $35.00 (plus tip) for a trend.

Momma can’t pay for her Botox without a little sacrifice from the masses…

Maybe we can find a salon that offers a package deal on feathers + facial-muscle paralysis???

This place would, of course, be called Xanadu.
    julie gardner recently posted..Today call me lessoned

I would totally do a two-fer botox/feather deal. Also I would go to Xanadu with you like anytime!

LOL, seriously I love you!

OMG,I just laugh and laugh, “$1Beer Night” BWWWAAHHHHH

are we sisters????

thanks for the giggle, and you are MUCH BETTER LOOKING than Tyler, hands down.

It turns out beer was actually 25 cents when I was in college. I just never had to pay, so I forgot that fact. ;)

Also, at my age being better looking that Steven Tyler is actually a compliment.

10. Sahnya says

Hmmm… maybe the annual run to Indiana for cheap health care will also bring cheap feather?! While me and my boys are feather free that cost of $35 is high for our neck of the woods. Perhaps a trip to Bend this year … though the health care is still pricey.

11. Steph says

Nope, sorry to say (or not) that they’re just as expensive here in IN! I have to agree, Tracy, as I’ve seen some women around here who are clearly over 40 sporting the feathers & I kinda have to cringe for them. I’ll just admire them on the youngsters from afar! ;)

I just put some feathers in a clients hair the other day. If you want to bring the girls to MI I will do it for a lot less than $35.00. I think thats a bit crazy. It only takes about 5 minutes to do it.
    Amy recently posted..tmi

We’ve determined that the cheaper clip ones are the roach clips we used in the 80’s. Well the roach clips my friends used in the 80’s. I have no idea what those are. ;)

Trackbacks