Wordful Wednesday – The Joneses

I kind of love when kids are too young to understand the relationship of things.

Like what money can buy. No one is rich or poor. No one has a better car or a bigger house.

But now they get it – the “rich” people behind us. The homeless men at the freeway exits. The kids in the class that cannot afford to bring in their own notebooks. The kids eating free hot lunch every day. The kids with the latest and coolest tennis shoes.

So I explain it all – but it still doesn’t make sense to them completely – grasping this need for money to buy things, and that you need to earn that money – the bank doesn’t just give it to you. (damn)

And by the way – this story has absolutely nothing to do with these pictures. My child is just so damn cute, you needed to see her again, oui? Don’t fight with me. It’s my blog.

So our fucking lovely, new and rich neighbors had an $11,000 “swing set” professionally assembled in their backyard and my kids have MAJOR swing set envy. “Mom, why can’t we have that swing set” “Mom, we need that swing set” “Mom, they must be really rich to have a swing set like that” “Mom, can you ask them how much it costs and where they got it” “Mom, do you think they would just let us play over there because it is HUGE?”  These poor children stand at the fence with drool dripping down their chins.

So I explain that we need a new car, roof, braces, gas, FOOD more than we need a “swing set” in the backyard…our 8 year old one is just fine. Really.

So far I am not very convincing.  Thank goodness for playgrounds nearby.

More wordless/wordful Wednesday and beautiful pictures at Project AliciaSevenClownCircus and Parenting for Dummies

Comments

Rich friends are the best kind. If you play nice and hope they don’t read your blog, they might even add a gate to the fence : )
    Dana

HA! I know – we made nice on Sunday and they girls played for a few hours. This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Next up – I hope they have good taste in expensive wine. ;-)

She is GORGEOUS!!! I will not fight you at all… ;)

I took my boys to a swimming party at house of a friend in Moms Club before we moved from Texas and the hostess had just moved to a new, HUMONGOUS home. As we were leaving my oldest asked me why we didn’t live in a mansion like them. It was hard to explain considering they only had one kid and I had 2.5 at the time… he he.
    Elaine recently posted..From Smocking to Swarovski

I think you need to make friends with those neighbors.

Those pictures are adorable and they didn’t have to be related to the post at all. They are too cute not to be shared.

Oh my gosh, beautiful pics. We recently went for a play date with friends who had every expensive toy imaginable and suddenly our house is extremely disappointing. Someday our kids will understand and appreciate us, right?
    Jessica recently posted..The Hot Seat

See, exactly. We cannot help ourselves, so how do I tell them to let it go.

$11,000 DOLLARS! So, I guess my kids would be furious living next to them since we have a $20 plastic slide and a picnic table. ;) The pictures are just precious!
    Elena recently posted..Happy Easter!

What a gorgeous, gorgeous little girl!

I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine spending 11k on a swing set. What a glorious life that must be (in that respect of course – I know money doesn’t buy happiness, blah blah blah).
    Mrs. Jen B recently posted..Spicy Olive Pasta

I really love the photos as a backdrop to the unrelated musings. Gives the whole post a very Andy Warhol-ish appeal.

And I am SO with you on the swingset issue. My groom and my father-in-law built ours themselves years ago. No 11K set for us either.
    Sue the Desperate Housemommy recently posted..The Full Monty

Did you write something? I’m too distracted by that gorgeous child. Even with good photography my kids are still homely, but I bet they would be more attractive with an $11,000 swing set. Too bad they have to settle for a tire swing!
    Poppy recently posted..Ladies Man

Those are some cute pictures!

My kids are just starting to understand the rich/poor thing which is challenging.

It would be really hard to have such a cool “playground” out your window.
    Amy recently posted..the hospital story

• says

She is really stunning – the darling outfit helps, too! Learning to cope with the haves and the have-nots is definitely a tough one! My 6 yr old is begging for a horse for her 7th birthday. It doesn’t seem to matter how many times I explain that we can’t afford it. The next day she’s at it again….
      Anne recently posted..Helmet On- Renovations Under Way

Ha! Thank you. I will tell my 8 year old that she wins as she is cuter than them. Also thinking that 8 is now too old to drool…

My kids want me to be friends with our extremely rude and snippy neighbors because they have a swimming pool. I tell them that’s a Hell No. LOL! And now my kids want a swing set. $11 grand, you say? I’m thinking a tire and a rope sound pretty good. But you see how boring my backyard must be. ;) Awesome pics, btw.

As long as the gimmes are in the $11k ballpark – they will never get what they want.

She lives in these hats. I swear by them. If we try to leave the house w/o a hat on she starts screaming “my hat my hat my hat.” She’s like a well-trained monkey really.