Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake…

I have a problem.

A good problem.

I have a child who wants to bake everyday.  And while the thought of baking everyday is fabulous and everything – there are a few issues.

1. It takes having ingredients on hand everyday.  I do not.

2. It takes having energy for the fun, the mess, the clean up and no cranky baby demanding your attention.  I have little of this energy left.

3. It adds pounds to my waistline and jiggle in my butt. Neither of these I want.

So sadly I have had to put baking limits on my middle child.  We cannot bake everyday.

We can bake once per week. Once per week. It must be enough.

So she walks around the house with her cookbooks open pouring over recipes. She opens cabinets and checks ingredients.  She tells me what we are out of.

This lovely, creative child is driving me crazy. I love her.

This week our cupboards where quite sad.  She wanted a cake. I didn’t have much flour or butter.  So we made something up.

A chocolate chip cake with whipped cream and fruit.

Turns out it was a huge hit. And easy. And yummy.  And quick to clean up and quick to bake.

Happy Baker. Happy Mommy.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Recipe:

1/2 cup butter

1 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1t vanilla

1 cup flour

1.5t baking power

1/4t salt

1 cup choc chips

Mix together well and pour into greased and floured round cake pan

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Cool for 30min or so and then flip onto plate

Cool completely before frosting.

You can frost with whipped cream or butter-cream or cream cheese frosting. Homemade or store bought. I am not here to judge.

Top with fruit if desired and pick off afterwards if you are Eloise.

Enjoy.

Comments

1. Sabine says

Looks yummy!!! THANX for the recipe.
    What I would like to know…is where can I get a tshirt like that with the number 6 for Serena?
    XOXO

• Ammers says

The shirt is made by a friend of mine based out of St Paul it came with a coordinating tutu. She is a stay at home mom. If you would like her contact information I can send you her email address. Please email me at amyemolin@gmail.com.
      Thanks!!!
      Amy

Love the pictures. She didn’t get her baking genes from this Grammy! Good for her. I get the desire to bake maybe once a month (or longer). That happened on Sunday. I thought I would make cinnamon rolls. As usual they didn’t turn out (oh what a surprise)! I’ve made a decision – when I get the urge I’m going to take my recipe book and the ingred over to the garbage can – measure everything carefully and just pour it directly into the garbage. I won’t have the mess and no one will have to attempt to eat it:)

I have an 8 year old like this. She has been making experiments in the kitchen for years, and has been cooking her own eggs since she was 3. She drives me equally crazy with needing ingredients, but I love her drive for it and the results after, including her pride in her work :)
    Frelle recently posted..A Memoir- First Grade

That is so cool that she already has a hobby of her own! The cake looks delish and easy to make! One question…the ingredients don’t list any chocolate chips? Did I miss that? :-)

Beautiful cake, thanks for sharing! I have girls who also love to bake, but for real, they get excited to make Jello…I have not set the bar high! I usually do most of my baking at night (I guess I’m selfish like that) so that I don’t have to pick egg shells out of the batter or wipe up quite as many spills…but I really should give my girls a cookbook & let them have a bit more say in what we bake together…I love the independence it fosters & the sense of ownership/pride in the finished product…kitchen messes here we come…that is once the baby is no longer feeding on demand & is on a good napping schedule.
    Melanie H. recently posted..This- That &amp Life with Lucy!

That looks delish. I might actually make that. Who doesn’t like a giant cookie?

Today Sage was over her friend’s house and the mom texted me a picture of them all baking. And I texted back that my kid was never going to want to come back to our house, where I rarely bake.

But since she has upped the ante, perhaps I could attempt the cookie cake?

That does look delicious. I love that she walks around the kitchen with her cookbooks seeing what you are out of. My oldest daughter loves to bake too but for the same reasons you listed I cannot allow it to happen.