Donut Morrison-Duncan…because every cat should have 2 last names…and an Obit.

“Of all God’s creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” - Mark Twain

Photobucket
If I could publish Donut’s Obituary in in the St. Paul Pioneer Press..this is how it would read.(and why does that not exist by the way, or is that just a brilliant idea – a paper publishing your pets obituaries? Do you know how many people would read that every day?  It would be huge.  Think of the sponsors?)
Photobucket
Donut the Cat(a.k.a PoPo, PoPo NoNo, El Pollo Loco, Pocanut, ToTo LoLo, CoCopaNonut, Tolololo, Dopanut, Donutbabybaby, and of course KEEEETEEE by Astrid) was born on a ranch in South Dakota around June 15th, 2007. He was tragically abandoned in a ditch with his 2 sisters and 2 brothers.  They were saved by the sweet neighbor lady driving by.  She brought them home to safety in her St. Paul Minnesota home, conveniently located behind the family who would eventually adopt him.
Photobucket
Donut died tragically and suddenly on November 5, 2010.  Donut was preceded in death by his infant kitty sister Juliet.  He is survived by his other kitty siblings Squeaky, Romeo,  and Doby.  His biological parents whereabouts and status are unknown, but he is survived by his adopted human family of Tracy, Jed, Eloise, Esther and Astrid -who all loved him very much.  Special mention also to his neighborhood cat friends – Oscar, Sally, Bob, Morgan, Timothy, Phoebe and that cute orange and cream cat that he used to lay with in the sun.  We never got her name but feel they were quite close and she should be mentioned.
Photobucket
Donut proved himself to be the alpha male of his litter almost immediately and also the head trouble-maker extraordinaire.  Trouble followed Donut everywhere he roamed.  He spent his very short life living it to his fullest as he roamed the neighborhood.  Donut had a friend in everyone.  Dogs, cats, birds, neighbors, strangers – he would trot up to you with that shine in his eyes and almost smile on his mouth and greet you.  He made himself comfortable in any home with their door open, jumped in mail trucks, UPS trucks and school buses and took walks with us around the block.    As we would walk, choruses of “Donut”(like Norm from cheers) would come from those who passed by.  Everyone within the 4 block radius knew and loved Donut.  As one neighbor wrote to me today “we have lost our neighborhood mascot.”  So true and so deeply sad.
Photobucket
We will miss the little things about Donut – they way he sat in the window box looking in at us, ruining our flowers.  This empty window haunts me today. How he would walk to the girls out to the bus each morning and greet them at the corner again every afternoon.  How he would climb the tallest trees and sit on our roof. The way he was so patient with Astrid and just 2 days ago gave her a kiss on the nose that made her giggle.

I personally will miss him on my lap in the evenings – snuggled up to the warm computer. Purring. Content.
Photobucket
I will miss seeing him in the toy baby carriages as the girls pushed him around the house.  I will miss his sweet face and soft fur.  I will miss silly Donut.
Photobucket
What I found the most peculiar about Donut – is for all of my blog posts over the last nearly 3 years – any post about Donut had the most traffic,comments and laughter. As much as he drove me completely insane – I loved him for that.  He brought laughter to our home and pure, silly love.  So thank you sweet readers for loving Donut too and appreciating him and what he added to our family.

Thank you all for your sweet comments and emails during this time.  Thank you for understanding our love of this crazy Donut cat.

When our family cat, Wilshire, died 5 years ago – he died in my arms, of old age, at the vet. I thought that was the hardest experience ever when it comes to loosing a pet.  I was wrong.  Finding your pet and knowing they died a tragic death without you to hold them in their time of pain is beyond words to describe to you.  I am so sorry, Donut baby that I wasn’t there with you.

“No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.” - Leo Dworken

In case you have a minute or hour or two – here are some of my favorite Donut blog posts…

The one about the worms

Just because he is cute

Donut’s 3rd birthday

Donut trying to escape

Donut was even friends with mice

Why Donut was depressed

“Hope” comes for Donut

The Day Donut tried to kill us – FOR REAL!

Donut broke his leg and got jewelry

Donut turns 1

And when I first introduced Donut to you

‘There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” - Albert Schweitzer

Comments

1. Mandy S says

So sorry for the loss of your furry friend, Tracy. My Molly is 16 and living on some borrowed time. I would want her obit published, too. They’re such important parts of our lives. Their memories and contributions to our lives should be celebrated!

2. Beth F. says

You wrote a very nice remembrance. He’s not even mine, and I felt so sad tonight when I heard that he had died. You gave him a good life, and he brought a smile to many — a cat life well lived.

VERY nice post. He was beautiful and certainly loved. I had never know a kitty like him, friendly and social; always wanting to be the center of attention! I know you and your family will get through this difficult time and with pictures and stories like this – never forgotten.

I didn’t want to click on this post because I knew I would be crying before I’d even read the first words. And I didn’t get the meaning of the first picture until I read the significance of the window, and that was when I really lost it.

So heartfelt, and so broken-hearted and so very, very sad. It’s both beautiful and sorrowful that Donut was so loved in your neighborhood. Cats just aren’t usually that way at all. And that photo of him laying on your baby girl just slays me. What love and acceptance- we can only dream sometimes of having that unconditional and protective love in our lifetime.

Beautifully written Tracy. I’m so very truly sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. My heart is with you and your family.
    Kate recently posted..feet first into november… and NaBloPoMo

This was so beautiful, Tracy. I am (of course) an emotional wreck after reading it. I am so, so sorry.

Our pets are so important. They are part of our families, our lives. And they love us no matter what. If we’re crabby, fat, thin, having a good hair day or not, and on and on. The loss of that type of companionship, coupled with the comedic relief they very often provide, is heartwrenching.
    Amanda M. recently posted..Wordless Wednesdayor not

6. Amanda says

oh no tracy i just can’t believe it. sweet donut. :( SO sorry for your loss – i have two cats myself and am obsessed with them – i know how much they contribute to our lives and ruin our furniture at the same time. thinking of you all…

7. admin says

Oh my word, my friends – your outpouring of love is just so warm, welcome and something I really need right now.

Thank you.
    xoxo,t

8. Larissa Warne says

Tracy–I so feel for your family. Our family dog died a few years ago. It was my kids first experience with death. It was heart breaking for me to watch their own pain. The note they wrote in tribute to Donut was so sweet. Activities like that help so much. My son, Jordan, and I made scrapbook pages in memory of our Jasmine. I hope you all find peace in your hearts.

9. Cathy says

I’m so sorry to hear of Donut’s passing. He had led an extraordinary life for a cat, especially when he started out abandoned. I think when a pet is loved, loved, loved by his family he can become an amazing family member. He did have a mind quite unlike most cats. We have 2 beloved house cats that are aging and I dread the day of their passing. Our hearts go out to you and your family; cats fill a special place in our hearts!

I feel for you. Your Donut was sweet. I lost my beautiful shelter cat Tinker 2 years ago after 19 years of love and attitude. She was a class act and I still miss her.

11. jill r says

*WEEP*

I haven’t had time to touch base with Sellabit Mum for weeks, and when I do, I find such devastating news. Oh my, say it’s not true. Poor poor baby kitty. I am so sorry Tracy (and family). Sophia loved reading about Donut Cat and his antics, when she sees this post, she’ll be in tears. This is going to be like hearing Garfield died :-( We will all miss that guy. (((HUGS)))

My dear, that was beautifully written. And seriously, considering how newspapers are looking for new revenue, I think you should contact them to see if they want to buy your idea of pet obituaries. I bet there are many people who would like to memorialize the member of their family they have lost in such a way.

The pictures are priceless.
    kp recently posted..buttons buttons buttons!

13. Jen says

I can’t believe he is gone!!!!!!!!!!

This post makes me wonder……..I used to LOVE our cat like a baby pre-kids, but now he is just a major pain in the you know what to me. I wonder how I’ll feel when he *does* pass away though…….

Sorry to hear this news!!!!! :(

Trackbacks